Sell a gift certificate for membership to your site. This plugin generates a unique gift code for the gift recipient to claim their membership account.
How it Works
Allow anyone to purchase a gift of membership. When a user purchases a membership level that is set up as a “Gift Level”, a customized discount code is created after checkout. The gift code can be claimed for a free membership, with an appropriate expiration date if configured, for the level selected in the Gift Level’s settings.
- Users who purchase gifts will not be given a membership level in your site.
- Gift purchasers can log in as a user and view the history of purchases made, available gift codes, and claimed gift codes.
- Users can purchase as many gift codes as they want.
- Plus and Unlimited members can install the Add On via the Memberships > Add Ons page in the WordPress admin.
- Or, download the plugin file and upload the pmpro-gift-levels directory to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory of your site.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress.
- Navigate to Memberships > Settings > Levels to create and manage gift membership levels.
- Navigate to Memberships > Settings > Email Templates to modify default messages sent through this plugin.
Membership Level Settings
Navigate to Memberships > Settings > Levels to create a new “Gift Level” and configure additional settings. Below is a list of the additional fields shown on the Edit Level page when using this Add On.
- Gift Level?: Check this box if you would like to set the membership level being edited as a gift level
- Level to Gift: Choose the membership level that a discount code should be created for when this gift level is purchased
- Allow Gift Emails: Check this box to allow customers to enter the recipient email address at checkout. If an email address is provided, the recipient will automatically receive an email containing a personalized message and a link to claim the gift code. You can customize the “Gift Recipient” template on the Memberships > Settings > Email Templates page in the WordPress admin.
- Gift Membership Expires: If left unchecked, the gifted membership will never expire.
- Gift Expiration Period: The length of time until a gifted membership will expire once redeemed.
For example, let’s say your membership site sells a $10 monthly membership called “Premium”. Using the Gift Membership Add On, you could create a level called “Gift of Premium” that entitles the recipient to 6 months of Premium membership. You would set a $60 initial payment on the “Gift of Premium” membership. Then, in the “Gift Membership” settings, assign the “Level to Gift” as “Premium” with a “Gift Expiration Period” of 6 months.
Email Template Settings
The Gift Membership plugin adds three new email templates that you can use to modify the default messages sent as part of a gift purchase:
- Gift Recipient: This email is sent when the gift giver provides the recipient email address at checkout.
- Gift Purchased: This email is sent to the gift giver as confirmation of their purchase after checkout.
- Gift Purchased (admin): This email is sent to the admin as confirmation of gift purchase after checkout.
The default Gift Purchased email includes a “Gift Confirmation Message” for the membership level that was purchased. This message includes a link to checkout and claim the gift code generated through the purchase. If you would like to overwrite any Gift Membership-related email, navigate to Memberships > Settings > Email Templates. Below is a list of additional template variables you can use to customize message:
- !!pmprogl_giver_display_name!!: The display name of the user that purchased the gift of membership.
- !!pmprogl_gift_message!!: The personalized message the gift giver added at checkout, if available.
- !!pmprogl_gift_code!!: The gift code (discount code) generated for this purchase
- !!pmprogl_gift_code_url!!: A full URL to the membership checkout page for the gifted level that automatically applies the gift code.